Monday, July 28, 2008

NDE in IISc, saved by the Truck driver

I am now one week old at IISc. I have almost discovered all the "Marg"s of the institute. I am not yet formally a student of IISc. But this incident is nowhere connected to IISc except for the fact that it happened in IISc and I was a part of it. It could have happened at any place with a canopy of trees.
Karnataka just avoided being called a drought affected state due to the last week rains. Good. Detour to IISc Gulmohar Marg. I and Srikanth Pai(Spai) were walking to the Refresher course class, just after lunch on 28th july. We were near the ECE dept. on the Gulmohar marg. Just then a truck stopped and asked us directions to some obscure place at IISc. I am just a one week old kid there and did not know where the place is. The truck left and as we moved forward, a big branch of the tree fell right in front of us, around 10 m ahead. The branch fell on a TVS rider who somehow retained his balance and escaped unhurt. If there was no Truck driver and him asking us directions, I and Spai would have a been in a bad state. All's well that ends well. This gets filed into the list of NDE's experienced by me. In passing, I just remembered the NDEs of Kodachadri and the likes which were much more powerful than this.
Two conclusions (and many more implicit)-
-> Helmet rule is not for making money out of fine collected by the Police
-> On a rainy day, be careful walking/driving on a road covered by a canopy of trees
Safe and sound,
Ajay

6 comments:

Jargonesh said...

I can very well empathize with you...It is a scary feeeling

Logik said...

Whoa.. Be careful. Tree/live-wires on trees, are a major source of yama-fodder in rainy days in bengaluru.

Yes. NDE it is. Spai's still alive eh...

Rakesh Babu G R said...

Hmm, NDEs help us enjoy our life more than we did before, I think.

Ajay said...

@Amod
I know you have been thinking of the Baleno incident. I wanted to include it, but just could not get exact details. And I did not want to sound vague.

@Takaal
Well said. Like it is said - You know the value of something when you lose it (or tend to lose it).

Rupesh Nasre. said...

Seems you are going to have a fun time in IISc. Best Wishes.

sheru said...

what a scary one!! but still NDE's are amazing experiences... nice one in the begining itself at IISc... but be careful!! watch out especially when its raining...